Review 47 Ronin


Went to the cinema last night with my friends, we were supposed to watch The Hobbit : The Desolation of Smug but one of my friend says it's gonna be boring movie so we decided to watch 47 Ronin.

From ancient Japan's most enduring tale, the epic 3D fantasy-adventure 47 Ronin is born. Keanu Reeves leads the cast as Kai, an outcast who joins Oishi (Hiroyuki Sanada), the leader of 47 outcast samurai. Together they seek vengeance upon the treacherous overlord who killed their master and banished their kind. To restore honor to their homeland, the warriors embark upon a quest that challenges them with a series of trials that would destroy ordinary warriors.


The acting was fine all round, but the women stole the show. Kudos to Ko Shibasaki (Mika) for really making a passive aggressive statement and Rinko Kikuchi (Witch) for chewing scenery! Actually I felt like Keanu Reeves played more of a support role. The Japanese hero, Oishi, played the lead role. The scene where all the Ronin committing seppuku was also very emotional along with the score to add a nice touch to the movie's atmosphere and further amplifies the message and feeling that it was trying to convey.

The problems are forcing all the Japanese to speak in English also seems to be a huge problem for me as I find myself hard to immerse into the movie as all the dialog felt out-of-place. I think that the casts did the best they could for the movie, but nevertheless, the language of choice for the movie certainly plays an important factor in ruining it for me. I would've much preferred it in Japanese. The movie tries too hard to appeal to the mass audience and put in too many unnecessary CGI that ultimately ruin the whole movie for me. I guess therefore scriptwriters did not put much attention into dialogues, which are clearly left out and have plain content. I do agree that it is the culture and time that are portrayed, which are strict and clear, but even then dialogues must at least be presented in nobel way, so that the viewer will be able to admire them by interpreting those dialogues, trying to imagine that time. I found the first part quite slow because of necessary exposition, but it picks up 1/3rd into the movie.


Very disappointing and it's not cool like the trailer. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments