Review Carrie


My decision was made to see this movie when I saw Kick Ass 2 and Chloe's Hit Girl was made into a more vulnerable character. This got me thinking okay maybe Chloe can pull this off.

Carrie White (Chloe Grace Moretz), a high school senior who's treated as an outcast by her peers due to her extremely religious and secluded upbringing. Margaret White is Carrie’s mum (Julianne Moore), who believes she conceived her in sin and home-schooled her until the law would no longer allow it. Due to her sheltered upbringing she's bullied at school, especially when she has her first period and doesn't understand it. A popular schoolmate Sue (Gabriella Wilde) takes pity on her, after first picking on her as well, and asks her boyfriend (Ansel Elgort) to take her to prom. At the same time another classmate Chris (Portia Doubleday) is plotting her revenge on Carrie for causing her suspension from school and exclusion from the popular dance. While Carrie is dealing with people and new strong feelings and emotions she also develops telekinetic abilities, that become dangerously strong.

I already knew the story of Carrie, I expected this movie’s climax to be all the more devastating (in a good way). What I mean by that is I have to be so emotionally involved with the characters that I will pray against fate that the tragic climax will not happen. Did I get that here? Yes. I wanted Carrie to have a good time at the prom, I wanted Carrie to have this chance at being "normal", and I wanted Carrie to be happy for once. But then the rug was brutally slipped from under her and I felt it too. Chloe really surprised me in this movie because let's face it the girl is just damn cute and according to Stephen King Carrie was described as being chunky and pimply so the girl was ridiculed for being socially inept as well as physically. Miss Chloe here was just too damn cute and giving her a messed up hairstyle and baggy farmer's clothes couldn't hide it. A minor thing but I forgave this because of Chloe's acting. I swear this girl has some brilliant facial expressions especially during certain scenes that really pull at your heartstrings. I even found myself getting a little misty eyed at some parts. As for Julianne Moore as Carrie's mum, no complaints here. I loved her and Chloe's scenes together especially towards the end. Nearly tore my heart in pieces.

Do I believe that it was necessary for this film to have been re-adapted for a new generation? Yes. Today, bullying has become a major issue in our society. Carrie White was an outcast at school and was tormented by her peers. She suffered emotional and physical abuse from her overly religious mother. And in the end... a person can be pushed so far. I just hope people take heed of the dangers of bullying and realize how far a person can go when pushed to the extreme.

Overall it was a good movie, not great, but watchable.




You Might Also Like

0 comments