My View About Lana Del Rey

The indie-pop artist — real name Elizabeth Grant — maintains the 1960s American girl persona she created on Born to Die. I first discovered Lana when I downloaded Summertime Sadness to my iPod for the only reason being that I was dying to get new songs on it. It instantly attracted me to this never-heard-before singer and her gorgeous way of expressing heartbreak. Her way of using words was not only poetic but also deeply touching, and Summertime Sadness  my most liked song of hers.




As divided as the public may seem about her, I must confess, I am a fan of the Del Rey. Her music, her style, and her pageant-queen-meets-girl-next-door beauty. The genuine article or not, her music does it for me, it fills that guilty-pleasure pop-music. Not to mention I think that whole self "gangster-Nancy Sinatra" look she has going on is killer. I feel the sheer amount backlash she's been getting since  "Video Games"  is unjustified, some of the reviews are just downright nasty. Whether or not she is an entirely self-made character or not doesn't affect my enjoyment of her music and her style. It is pop music after all. If she is just playing a character, then so be it, I like the character she plays :)
 I also adore the styling in her videos. they're great, and she looks so fab in them! 

The biggest problem with Lana Del Rey has nothing to do with the singer herself.  The debate has been furious and SNL only poured more gasoline on the fire, but while others talk about authenticity, plastic surgery, and talent (all valid conversations) the real problem in my mind is clear and simple...yet, it's never part of the discussion.


Examples negative comments about her :
- She seems so fake.
- She sounds really really depressed and/or bored.
- She sings like she is drunk.
- Her singing is not my cup of tea, a little too monotone and boring, doesn’t want to make  me listen to the lyrics.
- The girl’s got something of a voice to her, and if you can get past all of the weird plastic surgery, there’s potential.
- She's not Tori Amos.
(These are small part what I found on internet)

Okay it's about difference taste of music but not sure how anyone can claim that this woman is untalented. It would be nice if people would listen to the music and make up their own minds rather than bash her based on what people on the internets say.

Everyone has their opinions on the real world views, such as you all, and guess what, people? The American Dream is where you have freedom of speech, where you can promote your music and style any way you want. She's rich and famous, you're not, what is there to hate? I love her music, I love her style. Maybe there's another message being put out there by Lana Del Rey? This is MY opinion and they have THEIR own opinions. Ignorance put aside, Lana Del Rey is talented, she has a good voice and she writes her own lyrics, not to mention she has wrote other peoples lyrics as well.




Lana Del Rey has received more coverage from independent music websites than any other artist in recent memory, all before even releasing an album.  This is not a think-piece – we've all done them. This is a simple matter of statistics.

Yes, Lana Del Rey has a team behind her, had plastic surgery to improve her looks, and her ability as a live talent is questionable.  Those have all been debated to death.  The real question is why did these "independent" music websites dedicate almost double  the coverage to Lana Del Rey than they did for the artists that created their favorite albums of the year?

I think we underestimate how crucial image is for an artist. A female artist more importantly. Lana Del Rey had the strongest image in music. Strong images make great memes, memes generate hits...

I find it more damaging to females than anything. She herself changed her looks and met success. I can see how thousands of women will look now for extreme plastic surgery before attempting a music career. Fact. No guys have to go through so much focus on their looks. When she was just cute, nothing, once she became flawless, everything. It's hard to escape that reality. I used to think "indie" meant something, after the whole blog embrace thing I think women are just as fucked in indie as elsewhere. As in looks do most of the talking.

You Might Also Like

0 comments