Review Interstellar


This movie got a 9,2 rating and my expectation dropped as I watched this movie. 

In the future, humanity it at the brink of collapse as the Earth has been ravaged to a point where weather in cumbersome and farmers are seen as ideal careers. One of them is Cooper (Mathew McConaughey), a former NASA pilot who lives in a dusty home along with his father Donald (John Lithgow) and his two kids Tom and Murph. Murph convinces her father that a gravitational anomaly is occurring in her room. This leads them to an underground facility where former members of NASA including physicist Professor Brand (Michael Caine) have been scooping a newly opened wormhole near Saturn. They tell Cooper that a mission is being planned as the last hope for the future of humanity. The goal is to send astronauts through the wormhole to examine the three Earth-like planets that people could settle on. For his skills years before, Cooper is selected to pilot the mission, but this requires him to be away from his family for years (decades!). He makes the promise to come back, but Murph refuses to hear it and only considers that she may never see her father again. 

Matthew McConaughey's drawl was sporadic and seemed unnecessary. His character did not convince me either that he was the guy who is most capable of being spontaneously recruited for an urgent NASA mission (and what if he had refused?), nor that he was the guy who loved his daughter in a unique way that transcended dimensions (or more so than anyone else), nor even as a suitable candidate to return from this odyssey with all its shenanigans through black holes, gyrating space stations and a cracked space helmet (!) We never know his history well enough. Anne Hathaway and the rest of the crew were no more impressive. Michael Caine was convincing, but ultimately confusing, as his confession left more questions asked than answered. 

The movie is slow as hell. I always expect and compare this movie with Gravity and I don't know why I don't feel touched or tense like when I watched Gravity. Lots of plot holes and very obvious. Story takes forever before it even gets up into space. I was so bored. I felt like just getting up and leaving so many times but I thought maybe if I stayed it would get better. It didn't. I really hoped that the actors starring in the movie could make it better. They tried but it didn't help. The movie has an alright beginning and the build up of the characters is done pretty well and you get to see Matthew McConaughey do some wonderful actingHowever none of the characters were developed enough for you to care for them. The movie jumped around so much from plot to plot that your emotions got shocked when very predictably a character gets killed but then the story moves right along with a nice action scene thrown in to keep you awake. The movie is very hard to understand for common people, just saying.

I'm not saying the movie was ridiculous as it is purely science fiction which I normally enjoy, but this was a challenge for me to stay till the end of the movie.

I recommend everyone to watch this movie, though I don't really expect that everyone would like it.


You Might Also Like

0 comments